Shaia and Aniuta Rjawsky and their daughters, Johanna and Matilda, appear on the "List or Manifest of Alien Passengers for United States" of the S. S. Lapland sailing from Antwerp, Belgium on September 14, 1922. They are listed as enroute to "Home Bronx, N.Y., 2073 Mapes Ave." They are listed as "Szaja Chai Krawski, Chana Krawski, Johanah Rjawsky and Matilda Rjawsky." The listing as "Krawski" appears to be a transcription error from the Polish Passports and Shaia and Chana (see photo). Shaia is listed as a "Typographer;" Chana as "H. Wife;" Johanna as "Scholar;" and Matilda as "Child." All are listed as former residents of the United States.
S.. S. LAPLAND
From: Passenger Ships of the World past and Present,
"The Lapland was built by Harland & Wolff, Ltd., Belfast, Ireland. Tonnage: 18,565. Dimensions: 605' x 70'. Twin-screw. 18 knots. Quadruple expansion engines. Four masts and two funnels. Launched, June 27, 1908. Passengers: 450 first, 400 second, 1,500 third. Maiden voyage: Antwerp-Dover-New York in April 1909. Note: In White Star Line during 1914-1919 period. Resumed regular Antwerp-New York sailings in January 1920. Towards end of her career was used as a cruise ship. Broken up by Japanese shipbreakers in 1934." -- Posted to The ShipsList by John Jernigan - 29 November 1997
From: North Atlantic Seaway by N. R. P. Bonsor, vol.2, p.858,
"The "Lapland" was built in 1908 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Red Star Line of Antwerp. She was a 17,540 gross ton ship, length 605.8ft x beam 70.4ft, two funnels, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 17 knots. There was accommodation for 450-1st, 400-2nd 1,500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 27/6/1908, she sailed from Antwerp on her maiden voyage to Dover and New York on 10/4/1909 under the Belgian flag. She started her last voyage on this service on 4/7/1914 and on 1/9/1914 commenced sailing between Liverpool and New York. On 29/10/1914 she commenced Liverpool - New York sailings under the British flag while under charter to Cunard Line. In April 1917 she was mined off the Mersey Bar Lightship, but managed to reach Liverpool and in June 1917 she was requisitioned and converted to a troopship. On 23/11/1918 she commenced her first voyage after the Armistice when she sailed from Liverpool for New York for the White Star Line and on 2/8/1919 started her sixth and last round voyage on this service. On 16/9/1919 she transferred to the Southampton - New York route under charter to White Star Line and made three round voyages on this route, the last starting 27/11/1919. She was refitted to 18,565 gross tons with passenger accommodation for 389-1st, 448-2nd and 1,200-3rd class and resumed service for the Red Star Line, but under the British flag, on 3/1/1920 when she sailed from Antwerp for Southampton and New York. In April 1927 she was altered to carry cabin, tourist and 3rd class passengers and on 29/4/1932 started her last voyage between Antwerp, Southampton, Havre, New York (arr.8/5, dep.11/6), Cobh and Antwerp. Between 1932-33 she was used on London - Mediterranean cruises and in October 1933 was sold to Japanese owners. She was scrapped at Osaka the following year." -- Posted to The ShipsList by Ted Finch - 11 March 1998.
Translation from: Andr, Kint, Robert Vervoort, De Red
Star Line, Antwerpens Vergane Glorie, p. 98/99,
"Built 1908 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast. Was the flag ship of the line during many years. Had the appearance of her sister ships [Samland, Gothland, Poland] but was substantially larger. 17,540 tons, but rebuilt in 1920 and brought to 18,565 tons. Length 185 meter, breadth 21 meter. Speed 17 knots. Passengers: 450 first, 400 second, 1500 third class. Left Antwerp 10 Apr 1909 for new York via Dover. Was at that time the largest Belgian ship. Becomes English in view of the coming war. During the war the ship plied for the White Star Line. Damaged in 1917 but could reach a port at her own strength. After repair was used for troop transport. After the war she was used in the line between Liverpool and New York, and between Southampton and New York. After some years the great emigration era was over. In 1927 the ship was adapted to carry only one class of passengers. This could not save the situation, neither the organization of cruises in the Mediterranean. Sold in 1933 to Japan for scrapping. -- Posted to The ShipsList by Georges. Picavet - 17 April 1998
|Red Star Line Poster by Henri Cassiers|
|Postcards of the Red Star Line|
|They Came in Ships|
|Return to Rjawsky-Matz Index|
Feedback, comments and
suggestions are appreciated.
Please write to: Lewis P. Orans
The Orans Family Web
Copyright © Lewis P. Orans, 2001
Last Modified: 1:47 PM on January 13, 2001